Metabolic Syndrome & Prediabetes
What is it and do I have it?
At some point you have probably heard the phrases metabolic syndrome or prediabetes. What are they? Could I have one or the other or could someone I care about have them? If so, what to do about it?
Both of these conditions are very common in the US and becoming increasingly common in children, teens and young adults.
· 34% of US adults have the metabolic syndrome. These numbers increase with age.
· The heavier a child is the more likely they already have metabolic syndrome increasing their risks for diabetes and heart disease earlier in life.
· Among overweight teens 28.7% have the metabolic syndrome.
· Prediabetes occurs when blood sugar levels are higher than the normal range but are not yet high enough to be in the diabetic range. These levels can already damage the body.
· 43 million people in the US have prediabetes.
After reviewing the presentation, complete this test. If you check one item especially if you are overweight, have a family history of diabetes or are gaining weight around the belly, talk with your doctor. If you have 3 or more of these items you have the metabolic syndrome and must be sure to talk with your doctor.
This information is in no way intended as medical advice or as a substitute for medical treatment. This information should be used in conjunction with the guidance and care of your physician.